Volunteers, we need you!
Volunteers are essential to the Vancouver International Children’s Festival. Our Festival can only run smoothly with the generous help of a 1,000 devoted volunteers. Each year, volunteers, like you, contribute to the success of the Festival by helping us welcome 25,000 attendees! It is a huge endeavour and we could not do it without you! As a matter of fact, we LOVE our volunteers and as a token of our appreciation, we offer many perks to thank you for your contribution.
JOIN THE TEAM
NOTE: all onsite volunteers must show proof of vaccination.
Why become a volunteer?
- Get involved in an exciting creative project and open your mind to different perspectives
- Meet extraordinary people
- Learn and develop new skills
- Take part in a festive community event where you are encouraged to dress up every day you come to work
- Share your love of interacting with children
- Show that you care about your community
- Create wonderful experiences for kids, adults, and co-workers
What are the perks?
- Free snacks and treats at the Volunteer Centre, where you can rest, refuel, and hang out during your break and expand your circle of friends.
- Free Friday night show for three shifts worked (this does not include the training/orientation)
- Free t-shirt for three shifts worked (this does not include the training/orientation)
- Extra Activity Village Wristband: You will receive one Free wristband to the Activity Village for each day you volunteer. This means you can bring your sibling or come back to the Festival at a later time.
- Signed Confirmation outlining that you volunteered “x” hours for the Festival. This is not a reference letter. It is a note confirming your participation in the Festival.
- School credit for hours volunteered. If you require Work Experience forms and Work Experience Evaluation forms completed, you need to volunteer a minimum of 21 hours.
- Reference Letter upon request for volunteers who contribute a minimum of 30 hours
- All volunteers who complete 30 hours or more are invited to the Volunteer Party after the Festival close,s to let loose and have some fun. There will be food, beverages, cake, prizes, and the opportunity to share highlights of the Festival with other volunteers and Festival staff members.
What makes a successful volunteer?
- Good command of the English language.
- Strong communication skills.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Attend training session(s).
- Willing to give your time with a smile.
- Contribute to the best of your abilities.
- Flexible, patient, respectful, with a good dose of humility.
- Like to have fun!
What positions are available?
We are looking for high school students to be part of our Key Volunteer program. All Grade 10 (and up) students from the Lower Mainland (public and private schools) are encouraged to apply for a KV position and form a team of Key Volunteers to represent their school. Working from home and at school, KVs attend monthly Saturday morning meetings (in person or on Zoom) and work within their school to advertise the positions available at the Festival, guide candidates through the online application process, interview fellow students, and assist in assigning positions and providing candidates assessments online. On average, this position takes 20 hours throughout the school year. If this sounds interesting, please check out the Key Volunteer job description and email us your résumé at firstname.lastname@example.org We will be in touch to set up an interview and discuss the position. This is a great way to showcase your leadership skills!
During the Festival and the week before (May 23 to May 30, 2022): We have a lot of positions to choose from, so we have categorized them in three groups depending on the time commitment and duties required. A full shift is approx. seven hours long.
- Volunteer position requires a commitment of 2 shifts
- Host position requires a commitment of 3 shifts
- Crew Captain position requires a commitment of 5 shifts
Please take a few minutes to read the different positions available by clicking on the links above before you decide to proceed and join our team!
JOIN THE TEAM
I loved volunteering at the Creature Creations Tent. It was really fun and I loved seeing all the kids proudly show off their creatures. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet countless people, make new friends, and enhance and learn many new skills. Overall, I genuinely enjoyed the entire festival and would love to do it again next year! ~ 2019 Festival Volunteer
Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to volunteer with the children’s festival! I truly appreciate the time you took to talk with me and explain all the basics of this event. I enjoyed learning more about working with others.~ 2019 Festival Volunteer