Planning Your Day at the Festival: For Teachers
- Transportation Information
- Travelling By School Bus
- Travelling By Car
- Travelling By Public Transit
- Arrivals – Ticket Pick-Up and Hosts
- Festival Site Activities
- Show Preparation & Etiquette
Where to come?
To the Bus Drop Off and Pickup Area at Granville Island (see map). Our bus team will welcome you there and take you to your hosts and the Teacher Information Kiosk.
Please make sure you schedule your bus to arrive on Granville Island at least 45 minutes before show time.
How to leave?
Your host will accompany you to your pre-assigned bus departure area.
Where to park?
- Free parking is available all week in the lot directly under the Burrard Street Bridge. Enter at the foot of Fir St. at West 1st Avenue. Thank you to the Squamish Nation for their generous support. Note: It is a 20-minute kids’ pace walk from the parking lot to Granville Island, so make sure you arrive at least 45 minutes before your show to allow enough time to get to your performance.
- Paid parking ($15/day), in the covered parking lot off Old Bridge Street on your right, specifically for people with disabilities or with preschool or kindergarten children.
- Note: We will have a special area (in front of Performance Works, adjacent to the bus drop off area) designated for parents or any special needs drop off and pick up.
Catch the #50/15 bus direct to Granville Island. Service every 15 minutes from Waterfront or Olympic Village Skytrain stations. Visit Translink for details and other transit options.
As transit takes longer than planned, please allow yourself extra time to get to Granville Island. We recommend arriving on-site a minimum of 45 minutes before show time.
- Go to the Teacher Information Kiosk to meet with our School Services Team
to get your tickets, wristbands and Festival Info.
- If you need extra tickets, please ask our School Services Team when you arrive. School discount available day of: $13 (cash only) for all shows depending on availability (taxes included)
- By request, host(s) can assist your school group throughout the day – give you an orientation, get you to and from your show, help choose activities and lunch site and answer any questions you may have. For more information, download our FESTIVAL HOST PROGRAM info package
- Hosts will meet their assigned school group at the Teacher Information Kiosk at the school bus drop-off, unless an alternative meeting place is requested (e.g. first show venue or entrance to the Activity Village).
Everyone needs a ticket!
Parents, teachers, children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, acquaintances and friends – everyone is required to purchase a show ticket to attend any of the performances at the festival, with the exception of babes in arms, who are welcome to attend selected performances at no charge.
Babes in arms:
Babes in arms, refers to babies under the age of 12 months, who will not require a seat, and will remain in the arms of their parent or guardian.
Child = 1 to 17 years
Adult = 18 + years
Babes in arms = under 1 year
- Festival Site Hours: 9:30 am – 2:30 pm Monday to Friday.
- A dozen interactive activities, visual arts workshops and lots of surprises! Wristbands required.
- Our large Activity Village is enclosed in a beautiful park setting.
The festival is held at a variety of venues on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC.
All theatre venues are wheelchair accessible and are subject to change to accommodate capacity.
- Activities – in the green space at Sutcliffe Park (beside the water park) and beside Waterfront Theatre.
- Revue Stage (Venue 1)– 1601 Johnston Street
Showing: Charlotte and the Hug Bug Band, The Human Radio, David Bouchard
- Granville Island Stage (Venue 2)– 1585 Johnston Street
Showing: A Simple Space, Fana Soro & Masabo
- Carousel Studio (Venue 3)– 1411 Cartwright Street
- Waterfront Theatre (Venue 4)– 1412 Cartwright Street
Showing: Jam Side Up (Côté confiture), Spirit and Tradition
- The Nest (Venue 5)– 1398 Cartwright Street
Showing: White, Parents are a Drag
- Performance Works (Venue 6)– 1218 Cartwright Street
Showing: The Red Ball Movement, Mokatek and the Missing Star
- Granville Island Hotel (Venue 7)– 1253 Johnston Street
Showing: One of a Kind
LUNCH AREAS – For lunches, there are some lovely picnic sites on the south side of the island adjacent to our Festival site. In case of inclement weather, we have a “rain plan!” We will have a large covered picnic tent, as well as space in several Arts Umbrella classrooms and at several of our performance venues (just prior to, or after your show), all just a short walk from our Activity Village.
FOOD SERVICES – Granville Island has plenty of possibilities for lunch and snacks. We will have several food vendors near our Activity Village with inexpensive, kid (and adult) friendly food!
WASHROOMS – Your show venues have washrooms facilities and we have portable toilets adjacent to all activities.
FIRST AID – Please inform your accompanying teachers & parents that First Aid assistance will be available during festival hours. First Aid is located in a central location close to all activities and venues (please see map). Your festival host will show you where First Aid is located.
LOST CHILD PROCEDURES – Lost children will be accompanied to First Aid. Both our team and Granville Island Operations are on radio and ready to assist in reuniting children with their school group or parents. In the case of a missing child, please contact any festival staff member for immediate assistance.
Many of our shows have accompanying study guides and interesting websites to help you prepare your class and make the most of their Festival experience (see individual show descriptions on our website). As most shows are real theatre venues, please use this opportunity to teach your students about theatre etiquette.
Feel free to email our School Services Team at email@example.com or phone 604-708-5655
Please note: From May 19- May 31 our office will be at Granville Island Festival House, 1398 Cartwright Street.